Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm a teenage girl and what books can I read that will help me later in life or inspire me?

All I've read are books like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Jodie Piccoult books, but i really want to start reading books that will actually benefit me and teach me about the world (sounds ambitious I know). I just don't want to waste my time any more reading unproductive books. Any suggestions? Thanks!I'm a teenage girl and what books can I read that will help me later in life or inspire me?
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants and no doubt Jodie Piccoult are nothing to be sneezed at. I can't speak for the later but the first series is a fun read and they may be forgotten in 20, 50 or 100 years but reading should be fun (at least sometimes).





If you are looking for ';serious'; books go for any book that is a classic (Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen, Bronte, etc). Most book stores have a classic section.





The Three Muskateers by Dumas is good. Count of Monte Cristo too.





Frankenstien by Mary Shelley and Dracula are also good.





Pretty much anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters,





A Room with a View by E M Foster is readable. Read that at 14.





Thomas Hardy is in the classics with Tess of the D'Urbevilles and The Return of the Native and Jude the Obscure.





Pretty much anything Dickens.





Mark Twain too.





Little Women





Don't forget to read some ';fun';or ';lighter';stuff too.





To Kill a Mockingbird, Rebecca, Diary of Anne Frank may go into the classic list or at least verging close or onto the ';must read'; list.





Here are some others which may not be ';classics'; but have a read-





Picnic at Hanging Rock (Joan Lindsay)





Go Ask Alice





Harp in the South (Ruth Park) (Poor Man's Orange is the sequel and Missus is the prequel)





Into the Wild (Jon Krakauer)





Hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)





The Shiralee (D'Arcy Niland)I'm a teenage girl and what books can I read that will help me later in life or inspire me?
Read classics. Start with stuff like Tom Sawyer. You may also like books by Jane Austen... She wrote Sense and Sensibility, which was very good.


Anything by C.S. Lewis is good. If you really want to be inspired, read 'The Abolition of Man.' Whether you agree or not with him, Lewis talks about some deep stuff and it's amazing to read.





A general rule for picking books is the older the better.


There are good booklists on line. You can google them pretty easily. Librarians will be more than happy to help you also!
well i'm a teenage girl too and the books that have really inspired me and taught me about life are


- The god of small things


- The # 1 ladies detective agency


- Harry Potter (yes I'm serious! check out the Dumbledore quotes like ';It is our choices that show us for who we truly are, not our abilities.';)


- Anything by Jane Austen ( though not Mansfield Park as much)


- Charles Dickens (especially Great Expectations)


-Their eyes were watching god


I'm also going to try Shakespeare one of these days
You must read The seven habits of highly effective teens by Sean Covey. Really changed my life. Also he has another book but I can't recall the name and my friend borrowed it.





It has cartoons inside too. ^.^ The pages fly.
Read ';The Last Lecture.'; It is a true story written by a man dying of pancreatic cancer and he passes all his wisdom on and encourages you to make things happen instead of just letting things happen to you. It is a very inspiring book.
solving stonehenge
The book Black Swan Green. It is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment